Advance Health Directive (Medical) NSW
Create an Advance Health Directive for use in New South Wales, Australia. An Advance Health Directive is a legal document that states a person's wishes or directions about future health care for various medical conditions.
Time taken to complete 15 minutes.
Cost$ 66.00 (inc GST)
Legal Sign-offThe master documents are written in plain language and are signed-off by our lawyers at Maddocks.
What documents are included in the Advance Care Directive (Medical) New South Wales package?
The Cleardocs Advance Health Directive document package includes:
- the Advance Health Directive; and
- an Establishment Kit explaining what to do next.
What information do you need to order an Advance Health Directive through Cleardocs?
Download our checklist of the information required to order an Advance Health Directive from Cleardocs.
Why is it useful to have an Advance Health Directive?
If a person is temporarily or permanently incapacitated, then they may be given emergency medical treatment without their consent. This is allowed under the law.
However, the law says that medical treatment other than in an emergency can be given only if the person to be given the treatment consents to that treatment.
The Advance Health Directive gives a person confidence that their wishes about health care will be carried out if they are unable to make the decisions themself. This includes their wishes to refuse medical treatment — for example, if they:
- do not want to be put on life support; or
- do not want to have medical intervention that — although it may prolong their life — will have little therapeutic value.
When does the Advance Health Directive come into effect?
The Advance Health Directive comes into effect when the person making the directive is no longer able to make their own decisions about their medical treatment for certain conditions.
Who can make an Advance Health Directive?
Anyone can make an Advance Health Directive — as long as they are:
- over 18 years of age; and
- capable of understanding the nature of their directions and foreseeing the effect of those directions.
Seek legal advice
The Advance Health Directive information here should be considered general in nature, and in no way interpreted as legal advice. You must always seek your own independent legal, accounting and financial advice about your particular situation. The summary on this page is for information purposes only.
Questions or further information
If you have questions:
- about how to use Cleardocs, contact the Cleardocs helpline on 1300 307 343.
- about legal issues, contact the Cleardocs helpline on 1300 307 343. If you need advice, we will arrange for you to speak with a lawyer at Maddocks. The firm provides a free legal helpline in relation to the documents Cleardocs provides. If you require other legal advice in relation to your particular circumstances, then this will be charged for.
- Covers a person's wishes for a variety of medical conditions
- Provides a person with confidence their wishes about health care will be carried out
- Supplements an Appointment of Enduring Guardian
- Includes copy function for address details - saving you typing
- Extensive online help and local phone support
- Lodgement with ASIC 24/7 using our electronic lodgement portal