Appointment of Enduring Guardian NSW
Create an Appointment of Enduring Guardian for use in New South Wales, Australia. An Appointment of Enduring Guardian is a legal document that a person uses to appoint someone in a guardianship role to make medical and lifestyle decisions for them – for example, decisions about where the person lives, and the health care and medical treatment they receive.
Time taken to complete 10 minutes.
Cost $ 59.95 (inc GST)
Legal Sign-offThe master documents are written in plain language and are signed-off by our lawyers at Maddocks.
What documents are included in the Appointment of Enduring Guardian New South Wales Cleardocs package?
You will receive:
- the Appointment of Enduring Guardian – the legal document the person uses to appoint their guardian;
- an Acceptance by Enduring Guardian;
- an Acceptance by Alternative Guardian (if applicable);
- Witness Certificates; and
- an Establishment Kit explaining what to do next.
What information do you need to order an Appointment of Enduring Guardian through Cleardocs?
Download our checklist of the information required to order an Appointment of Enduring Guardian from Cleardocs.
When does the guardianship apply?
A guardian's appointment commences when the person appointing the guardian is unable to make medical and lifestyle decisions for themself.
Who can be a guardian?
Anyone can be a guardian — as long as they:
- are over 18 years of age;
- do not provide any of the following services for a fee or reward to the person appointing the guardian:
- medical services;
- accommodation; or
- any other services to support the activities of the daily living of the person appointing the guardian; and
- are not the spouse, parent, child or sibling of the person providing the above services to the person appointing the guardian.
What considerations must a guardian take into account?
If a guardian is making medical or lifestyle decisions on the other person's behalf, then the law says the guardian must:
- act in the other person's best interests;
- wherever possible, make the same decision that the other person would have made in the circumstances; and
- avoid situations in which the guardian has a conflict of interest.
Seek legal advice
The Appointment of Enduring Guardian information here should be considered general in nature, and in no way interpreted as legal advice. You must always seek your own independent legal, accounting and financial advice about your particular situation. The summary on this page is for information purposes only.
Questions or further information
If you have questions:
- about how to use Cleardocs, contact the Cleardocs helpline on 1300 307 343.
- about legal issues, contact the Cleardocs helpline on 1300 307 343. If you need advice, we will arrange for you to speak with a lawyer at Maddocks. The firm provides a free legal helpline in relation to the documents Cleardocs provides. If you require other legal advice in relation to your particular circumstances, then this will be charged for.
- The Appointment of Enduring Guardian can supplement an Advance Health Directive
- Flexibility to appoint an alternative guardian in case the guardian is unable to act
- Options for when it takes effect
- Options for what functions the guardian will exercise
- Includes copy function for address details - saving you typing
- Extensive online help and local phone support
- Easy to use question interface