Bare Trust for SMSF borrowing
The Bare Trust is part of the SMSF borrowing documents. Please select the type of borrowing you require.
SMSF borrowing (bank)Find out more
SMSF borrowing (related party)Find out more
Use Cleardocs to create your SMSF borrowing (or "limited recourse borrowing") documents. Cleardocs offers different packages for bank and related parties.
Time taken to complete 10 minutes.
Legal Sign-offThe master documents are written in plain language and are signed-off by our lawyers at Maddocks.
Step by step guide
It is simple to arrange the documents you need to borrow through your SMSF. In summary you need:
- Step 1: an SMSF;
- Step 2: the SMSF needs a deed with suitable borrowing provisions;
- Step 3: sometimes, the SMSF needs a company as its trustee — check with the lender;
- Step 4: usually, the Declaration of Custody Trust (also known as a Bare trust) for the SMSF borrowing needs a company as its trustee — check with the lender. That company must be a different company from the one that is the SMSF trustee — so you may need two companies; and
- Step 5: an SMSF borrowing document package which includes the Declaration of Custody Trust.
For more information please look at our SMSF Borrowing guide
SMSF borrowing (bank)
You can read more information and order a Cleardocs limited recourse borrowing document package for SMSF borrowing when the lender is a bank on our website.
SMSF borrowing (related party)
You can read more information and order a Cleardocs limited recourse borrowing document package for SMSF borrowing when the lender is a related party on our website.
Seek legal advice
The Bare Trust for SMSF borrowing information here should be considered general in nature, and in no way interpreted as legal advice. You must always seek your own independent legal, accounting and financial advice about your particular situation. The summary on this page is for information purposes only.
Questions or further information
If you have questions:
- about how to use Cleardocs, contact the Cleardocs helpline on 1300 307 343.
- about legal issues, contact the Cleardocs helpline on 1300 307 343. If you need advice, we will arrange for you to speak with a lawyer at Maddocks. The firm provides a free legal helpline in relation to the documents Cleardocs provides. If you require other legal advice in relation to your particular circumstances, then this will be charged for.